Bringing your self build project to life.
Find out more here.
If you dream of your own self build project, this page details how a self build mortgage works at Suffolk Building Society. Don’t forget you can get in touch with us at any time to chat through your options and next steps.
At Suffolk Building Society our self build mortgages are all about you. Whatever stage you are at, we’ll do our best to help and we’re only one call away.
All you need to know about mortgages for self builders.
If you’re ready to consider a self build project, it’s useful to have the latest information to hand. Here is a summary of some of the things you should be aware of with our self build mortgage criteria.
- Available for several projects and build types, including new projects from scratch; conversions; renovations; knock down and rebuilds; and mid or partially built projects.
- You can use the funds from one of our self build mortgages to purchase land, should you need a plot to build on. We will require full costings to be provided, so take a look at our self build budget planner to help you get started.
- We can consider a range of construction types. This includes modern methods of construction (known as MMC), although for some build types we will need the scheme to be BOPAS registered.
- You must have detailed planning permission and building regulations in place, with the build being supervised by a qualified person. View our self build warranty form for acceptable professions and warranty providers.
- Mortgage funds are released in stages as the build progresses, rather than all upfront, so you don’t have to pay interest on the whole amount from the start. We will work with you to agree flexible stage payments to suit your project, at each stage we will need to conduct a valuation and charge a stage release fee of £100.
- The total funds lent must not at any at time exceed 80% of the current value of the land or property under construction.
- Self build mortgages are available on a repayment or an interest only basis.
- Your property must be completed within 24 months of the initial advance.
- Once your build is complete, and you have supplied us with the completion certificate, you can switch from a self build mortgage product to one of our residential products, without paying an early repayment charge (ERC). And if your new home has an EPC rating of A or B you’ll have access to a special follow-on product, again without paying an ERC.
We know self build mortgages can seem confusing, so we’re here to help! Get in touch so we can answer your questions and explain the process.
here to help
Find a self build and renovation mortgage.
With our mortgage finder you can look up our self build and renovation mortgage products to see what’s currently on offer. A self build mortgage with Suffolk Building Society can include financing new build projects, renovations, conversions and even ‘knock down and rebuilds’.
Found a self build and renovation mortgage product? Use our mortgage repayment calculator to get an idea of how much it’ll cost, or for general details about mortgages visit our mortgage information page.
We have conversations, not algorithms.
Our decisions are made by experts, not computers. We need to calculate the financials, but we understand there’s more behind a mortgage than the numbers on a page. We can’t promise to lend to everyone and anyone, but we’ll consider most applications on an individual basis.
Ready to go? We’d love to hear from you. Get in touch with our friendly and knowledgeable team.
Prefer to talk?
Call 0330 123 0723
From Our Blog