first time buyers.
First time buyers
make things possible.
Bringing people together
Types of mortgages
for first time buyers.
Tips for First time buyers
Five things to consider before looking for your first time buyer mortgage.
- Assess your savings and calculate how much deposit you’ll be putting towards the purchase of your home.
- If you have found your ideal property, or have a shortlist in mind, you can calculate how much you may need to borrow. Although it can be tempting to keep increasing that maximum search value on Rightmove, remember to keep your expectations more realistic!
- Draw up a detailed budget and outline all of your “move in” expenses. Don’t forget things like stamp duty (if applicable) and moving services, alongside the exciting things like decorating and furnishing your home.
- Next, turn your attention to your estimated monthly living expenses. It might seem like the list is never ending, including things like council tax, travel, utilities, insurances, groceries and recreation spends. It goes without saying that your monthly income must outweigh your outgoings!
- Finally, and here comes the important bit, go back through steps 3 and 4 and see if you’re able to shave off any costs. When moving into your new home remember you don’t have to do everything at once, so that fully landscaped garden could probably wait whilst you rebuild your pot of savings – and if you are struggling to control monthly costs do you really need to subscribe to Sky, Now TV, Netflix and Disney Plus?
Once you’ve got a clear picture of your finances you’ll be better prepared to start looking for the right mortgage product to help you buy your first home.
Ipswich Building Society explained the process very clearly at each stage. My mortgage consultant was extremely helpful and efficient, she responded to my questions and queries very promptly and in general the process went very smoothly.
It is very easy to contact Ipswich Building society and to speak to an advisor. I received good advice and I am very happy with my mortgage. Everything was set up with the minimum of fuss.
Find the mortgage product for you.
Get an idea of how much you could borrow, calculate monthly repayments and see the difference an overpayment could make.
We have conversations, not algorithms.
Our decisions are made by experts, not computers. We need to calculate the financials, but we understand there’s more behind a mortgage than the numbers on a page. We can’t promise to lend to everyone and anyone, but we’ll consider most applications on an individual basis.
Ready to go? We’d love to hear from you. Get in touch with our friendly and knowledgeable team.
Prefer to talk?
Call 0330 123 0723
From Our Blog
First time buyers & side hustles
First time buyers and COVID-19
Call in and learn more about buying your first home
Longer term mortgages – why borrowers are taking out mortgages for longer
What is a leapfrog buyer?
Buying a home without the Bank of Mum and Dad